Phasors on Stun (was Re: The crap that is FBO...)

OMG back at ya. I didn't know Nash the Slash's fame crossed down below the 49th
parallel. I first heard of him on my university radio station at UNB, CHSR. I
later discovered his work with Canadian band FM. Their song "Phasors on Stun"
is still one of my all-time favorites. On the surface, it's about as far away
from Led Zeppelin as one can get, but I've always loved the enthusiasm bursting
from the speakers. Sure it was early synthpop (circa 1976!), but these guys
really got it every bit as much as Jimmy Page did: that notion of sound itself
and the space around it as an artistic statement. You know, there's a point in
the movie TSRTS right after the fanfare that closes the guitar solo where the
band is crunching into the final Aminor-Aminor....G-G....F-F chords behind "And
as we wind on down the road..." and you see a view from Jimmy's side of the
stage as the whole band seems to take this sort of "determined" stance and Page
bashing out the chords on his double-neck in time with the music with an
enthusiastic  "wreckless abandon" as he hits the chords, and you get this
overwhelming sense of exuberence and drive, the whole "Zeppelin in full flight"
thing. You can almost see the waves of sound energy being directed at the
audience. Trampled Underfoot indeed! I hear the same thing at the end of
Phasors on Stun. It's the sheer joy of making music and just belting it out for
all you're worth. I also saw it in the O2 footage near the end of Black Dog
where Jimmy seems to suddenly get this sense of "Holy shit! We're actually
doing this and it f"/$king well ROCKS!" and starts jumping up and down as he
crunches the chords. Heck, there are lots of moments we could list like that in
LZ's music and others. In his own weird bandaged way, Nash the Slash knew how
to kick up some sand like this too! ;-)

It's all good. No crap here.