From: admins-zeppelin@xxxxxxxx [mailto:admins-zeppelin@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Buckeye
Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2013 3:40 PM
To: BGW
Cc: FBO
Subject: Re: Off topic: Turntables

Hi Brad

I'm a Rega man, myself (I have a P5).  I think the RP1 is a solid choice for
starting out.  That upgrade kit seems to be okay, but I'll tell you a big
improvement in performance can be had with just the Groove Tracer SubPlatter
- which is something you can install yourself (google it).  I also think the
"white belt" is an improvement, but many will argue.  The
Bias2 and the Elys2 are good choices for cartridges - since they are Rega
made, they integrate well without having to fidget about with getting things
aligned properly.  One other thing, even if your receiver has a Phono input,
you'll still get better performance with an outboard phono preamp.  I have
the Rega Fono, but I've read that the Fono Mini is no slouch!

That said, I know many people swear by other brands and the following seem
to be popular lower budget choices: Music Hall MMF-2.2 and Pro-Ject Debut.

If you want to talk more, feel free to drop me an email directly (goes for
any FBOer).

take care

-Bruce

On 7/7/2013 5:27 PM, BGW wrote:
> Hi all
> I know that this is off topic and I could easily do my google search for
reviews, however, I have a ready bank of people on the ground here who I
trust more than reviews.

> I am going to venture back into vinyl as I was faced with either throwing
out my thousands of vinyl albums or getting another turntable.  Just too
much stuff and memories to throw them out.

> So not knowing turntables as I once did I was thinking about an entry
level deck like the Rega Planar RP1.  In Oz it retails for about $495 but
one mob is doing an 'upgrade' kit that seems to have garnered some good
reviews (I did do some research).  Here is the package:
http://www.stereophonic.com.au/products/Rega-RP1-Performance-Pack-Turntable.
html All in all it looks good, and a reputable and long standing brand.
Still made in the UK.  This thing will marry up with a high end Arcam amp
and some JBL reference monitors.

> So I'd be appreciative of any advice that people can offer.  I don't want
to get technical too much.  I just want a good entry level deck that will
revive the 70s for me!

> Sorry for going off topic but this may be of interest to others as well.
>
> Thanks
> Brad

No virus found in this message.