[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: Off topic: Turntables



Jeff,

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a specific site that stands out for 
this, although if you Google "introduction to vinyl" or "introduction to 
turntables" there are a few interesting choices.

I got back into vinyl in 2006. I started hanging around a couple of audiophile 
forums because I was interested in the whole process of remastering and because 
I was finding music didn't seem to sound as good to me anymore. Someone 
happened to post a sample of a recording from the Classic Records reissue of 
LZI, the intro to Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. I was floored! It seemed to sound a 
gazillion times better than the CD version. That was partly illusion as the CD 
version isn't really THAT bad sounding, but I've often found vinyl playback 
adds a sense of 3D realism to recordings. There's something about the physical 
vibration of a stylus in vinyl that adds life to a recording. It's not just 
about "warmth" (as that's often a euphemism for "dull") or any other specific 
audio attribute that can be duplicated digitally. It just adds something. and 
it's not because it's "analog" I constantly do digital recordings of my LPs to 
bring in my car and on my Android phone for listening at work, and almost all 
the special sonic qualities I hear in vinyl translate just fine to digital 
recordings and remain even in high bitrate MP3s! But I digress.... :)

Anyway, after hearing a few more samples, I bought a turntable and have enjoyed 
the hobby every since. I learned a lot from participating in various online 
forum sites. As I mentioned in an earlier post, www.vinylengine.com is great, 
as are the turntable subforums at www.audiokarma.org, www.audioasylum, 
canuckaudiomart.com, etc. There's also 
www.theanalogdept.com, and www.audiocircle.com.

Steve.




On 7/8/13, Jeff Strawman - ACHILLES LAST STAND <jstraw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but is there some like intro to turntables website or
> primer I can look at? I am incredibly uneducated on the subject. I just
> drop the needle and listen to the vinyl, but I've got a 30 year old Audio
> Technica turntable and probably would be in the market for a new rig.
> 
> -Jeff
> 
> Original Message
> From: admins-zeppelin@xxxxxxxx [mailto:admins-zeppelin@xxxxxxxx] 
> <admins-zeppelin@xxxxxxxx]> On Behalf
> Of Buckeye
> Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2013 3:40 PM
> To: BGW
> Cc: FBO
> Subject: Re: Off topic: Turntables
> 
> Hi Brad
> 
> I'm a Rega man, myself (I have a P5). I think the RP1 is a solid choice for
> starting out. That upgrade kit seems to be okay, but I'll tell you a big
> improvement in performance can be had with just the Groove Tracer SubPlatter
> - which is something you can install yourself (google it). I also think the
> "white belt" is an improvement, but many will argue. The
> Bias2 and the Elys2 are good choices for cartridges - since they are Rega
> made, they integrate well without having to fidget about with getting things
> aligned properly. One other thing, even if your receiver has a Phono input,
> you'll still get better performance with an outboard phono preamp. I have
> the Rega Fono, but I've read that the Fono Mini is no slouch!
> 
> That said, I know many people swear by other brands and the following seem
> to be popular lower budget choices: Music Hall MMF-2.2 and Pro-Ject Debut.
> 
> If you want to talk more, feel free to drop me an email directly (goes for
> any FBOer).
> 
> take care
> 
> -Bruce
> 
> On 7/7/2013 5:27 PM, BGW wrote:
> > Hi all
> > I know that this is off topic and I could easily do my google search for
> reviews, however, I have a ready bank of people on the ground here who I
> trust more than reviews.
> >
> > I am going to venture back into vinyl as I was faced with either throwing
> out my thousands of vinyl albums or getting another turntable. Just too
> much stuff and memories to throw them out.
> >
> > So not knowing turntables as I once did I was thinking about an entry
> level deck like the Rega Planar RP1. In Oz it retails for about $495 but
> one mob is doing an 'upgrade' kit that seems to have garnered some good
> reviews (I did do some research). Here is the package:
> http://www.stereophonic.com.au/products/Rega-RP1-Performance-Pack-Turntable.
> html All in all it looks good, and a reputable and long standing brand.
> Still made in the UK. This thing will marry up with a high end Arcam amp
> and some JBL reference monitors.
> >
> > So I'd be appreciative of any advice that people can offer. I don't want
> to get technical too much. I just want a good entry level deck that will
> revive the 70s for me!
> >
> > Sorry for going off topic but this may be of interest to others as well.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Brad
> >
> >
> >
> >
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3204/6472 - Release Date: 07/07/13
> 
> 
>