To: "BGW" <barnoo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "FBO" <zeppelin@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: Off topic: Turntables

Hi Brad

I'm a Rega man, myself (I have a P5). I think the RP1 is a solid choice for starting out. That upgrade kit seems to be okay, but I'll tell you a big improvement in performance can be had with just the Groove Tracer SubPlatter - which is something you can install yourself (google it). I also think the "white belt" is an improvement, but many will argue. The Bias2 and the Elys2 are good choices for cartridges - since they are Rega made, they integrate well without having to fidget about with getting things aligned properly. One other thing, even if your receiver has a Phono input, you'll still get better performance with an outboard phono preamp. I have the Rega Fono, but I've read that the Fono Mini is no slouch!

That said, I know many people swear by other brands and the following seem to be popular lower budget choices: Music Hall MMF-2.2 and Pro-Ject Debut.

If you want to talk more, feel free to drop me an email directly (goes for any FBOer).

take care

-Bruce