Re: Burning Question (NZC)

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Sanabria" <tsanabria@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Lee McC" <leemcc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Nicolas Santoli"
<nsantoli@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <zeppelin@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 8:22 PM
Subject: Re: Burning Question (NZC)

> According to http://www.goldenhawk.com/ WinME and Win2k are both
supported.
> Click on the link above and then download area for instructions on
> how to
> download and install the ASPI driver for ATAPI devices.
>
> I've been running WinME with CDRWIN and EZCD with no problems for
> several
> months now.
>
> Tim

I don't doubt that you are having success.  It is possible - but not
supported - please note the following pasted directly from
http://www.goldenhawk.com/ide.htm - please also keep in mind that
drivers on
the CDRWIN download page are listed there by Goldenhawk, not Adaptec,
and
the link they provide is specifically for qualifying systems (Adaptec
SCSI
card users or people who have an older version of EZCD Creator, not
the
versions above 4 that don't use an ASPI layer).  The folks who wrote
the
ASPI layer (Adaptec) have repeatedly claimed that it is not supported
in
WinME or 2K and that installing it may cause problems that they are
not
responsible for.  Yes, people have done it and gotten away with it
but they
are lucky.  Also note that this doesn't necessarily apply to SCSI
burners or
CD-ROM drives.

============begin pasted text============================
Supported Operating Systems:

IDE/USB CDROM devices are supported under Windows 95/98/NT only!!
The 32-bit DOS version also supports IDE/USB CDROM devices under
Windows
95/98/NT.
The 16-bit DOS version does not support IDE/USB CDROM devices (and
never
will).
ASPI Drivers for Windows 95/98/NT

If you own an Adaptec SCSI card or have Easy CD Creator installed on
your
system, then download and install the following file from Adaptec's
FTP
site:

ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi32.exe

If you do not own one of the Adaptec products listed above, then you
can
download the required ASPI drivers from the following FTP site (this
file is
not owned or licensed to Golden Hawk Technology, so we do not
guarantee that
it will work on your system).

http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/aspi.htm

Running one of the above programs will install/update the following
files on
your system:

WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ASPIENUM.VXD
WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINASPI.DLL