Re: zeppelin-digest V12 #5282

As an alternative there are many nice used Japaneese 1970's era Direct Drive Tables out there that might provide better preformance for less such as Sony PS-X75,Sony PS-X7,Sony PS-X70,Pioneer PL-630,PL-570.PL-560,Marantz 6300,Sansui 838,929, and many others including Technics/JVC to name a few.Buy one these for $75-500 and put the rest into a nice phono pre-amp such as Musical Fidelity VLPS or Cambridge Audio 651 ect...

Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 07:27:22 +1000
From: "BGW" <barnoo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Off topic:  Turntables

Hi all
I know that this is off topic and I could easily do my google search for reviews, however, I have a ready bank of people on the ground here who I trust more than reviews.

I am going to venture back into vinyl as I was faced with either throwing out my thousands of vinyl albums or getting another turntable. Just too much stuff and memories to throw them out.

So not knowing turntables as I once did I was thinking about an entry level deck like the Rega Planar RP1. In Oz it retails for about $495 but one mob is doing an 'upgrade' kit that seems to have garnered some good reviews (I did do some research). Here is the package: http://www.stereophonic.com.au/products/Rega-RP1-Performance-Pack-Turntable.html All in all it looks good, and a reputable and long standing brand. Still made in the UK. This thing will marry up with a high end Arcam amp and some JBL reference monitors.

So I'd be appreciative of any advice that people can offer. I don't want to get technical too much. I just want a good entry level deck that will revive the 70s for me!

Sorry for going off topic but this may be of interest to others as well.

Thanks
Brad