Re: A question to collectors

Thanks Frank!

If you manage to develop this software I am sure lots of people would be interested! There's a big niche for this I am sure

I was rather thinking about Flickr, instead of Picasa. It's easy to tag your photos and form a group for sharing etc... The only "problem" would be to uniformise tags. In a proper DB you can have a theasaurus to control this.

I am not interested as such since I don't collect things. But someone on an other board was talking about his collection and such. And I happened to mention that my job has to do with data bases. I would never have the time to developp such a thing, and I am even trying to get away from this job as I am really fed up with it. But I can always give my input if it can be useful. I have been in charge of managing the collection of our natural history museum on FileMaker, for the past 15 years.

Actually FileMaker does have a function to publish the DB's online, but I am not sure how it works when you actually need people to enter their data (multiple users etc?) This would be a big job, there's no way I would have the time to do this and maybe it has been done already?

FRANK SMITH a écrit :
It's funny you should mention this. My buddy and I have been talking
about developing just such a thing for collectors for more than a year
now.

I'm not certain these are exactly what you need but they may be of
some use to you:

"Edit Grid" is an online database that allows the user to store data
in a spreadsheet format. That probably won't directly solve your
problem as I'm assuming you're looking for something more
graphics-driven.

The second option is Google's "Picasa "that allows the user to store
photos in a nice format and has a basic search feature.