Ipsham or Birmingwich?

Well, a new list and my first post! Hello everyone.  I had actually
unsubscribed from the "list that shall not be named" back in June but had
loosely followed all of the todo via the digest archive. Thank heavens
the foolishness is behind us and we can get back to the business at hand.

Now about this "Twopenny Upright" boot.  Here's my 2 cents worth: The CD
is very similar to that which is described in "The Concert File" as being
Ipswich, November 16 1971, but some of the dialog is ever so slightly
different. The disc begins with Plant's dedication to Delroy Wilson as
described in the book. Following Heartbreaker, there is a reference to
the 12 foot end (kinda supports the Ipswich argument (St Matthews Baths))
but unlike the quote in the book, doesn't mention the Town Hall (yet) but
mentions the new album instead. Black Dog follows and then there is the
"I'm sure you must have had a town hall" bit. This sentence is followed
by something I can't make out but which seems to end with "...from
Birmingham". Could this be why the bootleggers had it pegged as being
from Birmingham? After Since I've Been Loving You it sounds like a
different tape is used (or the taper changed position). During the
acoustic set Plant says something else I can't make out but which ends
with "...Ipswich" (the plot thickens). Then, following Tangerine is the
comment about having driven 180 miles. I don't know but I suspect that
Ipswich is more likely to be 180 miles from Dundee (where they played on
the 13th) then Birmingham is from Ipswich.

So the first part seems likely to be Ipswich (from the mention of the 12
foot end) and so too does the second part (based upon the 180 mile trip
to get there). The only odd thing is the mention of Birmingham but who
can say what that was all about (perhaps a pre-concert private joke?).

     Jim Rice                                      Halifax, Nova Scotia
     ~~~~~~~~                                           Canada
                 eMail:  ad092@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my Zeppelin page: http://chebucto.ns.ca/~ad092/ledzep.html    ZoSo
                        (site includes some Zep CDs I am selling)