Re: The aching wonder of what it was like

     Well, for me it was hearing WTLB on the radio that permanently set me
up as a Zeppelin fan.  I was 12 in 1969.  I did not have a local FM rock
station in my area so I depended on the night-time AM Top40 DJ (Briggs
Gordon, aka Uncle Briggs) to supply me with something cool to listen to
(such as Jewel Eyed Judy by Fleetwood Mac and Devil=B9s Answer by Atomic
Rooster).  I first heard WLL (LP version) on my local AM Top40 station and
couldn=B9t believe my ears!  TLS was literally scratched up to keep it from
being played on the station=B9s LZII album but other cuts were played after
7pm.  LZII was the first Zeppelin album I bought.  When I finally heard WLL
in my headphones - in stereo - well, words can=B9t describe how I felt.  Wher=
DID this band come from??  How DID they create this music??  And then, one
night, I=B9m listening to this same AM Top40 station in my headphones and WTL=
plays for the first time.  It was in mono and compressed with no dynamic
range.  I saw God!  From that moment on I was a led Zeppelin FAN!  I added
all the Zeppelin albums to my collection.  And then I discovered that
bootleg concert recordings existed.  A friend a year ahead in high school
was a serious guitar player, writer and singer and told me he had a bootleg
Zeppelin recording.  It was an album from Rubber Dubber (IIRC), and was in
mono, until WLL.  The producer panned the mono sounds from left to right
during the WLL middle section.  But he wouldn=B9t sell it to me and I didn=B9t
have a cassette deck yet so I never got a copy of it.  I=B9m sure I have that
show now, thanks to the internet.  Maybe one day I=B9ll be able to figure out
what show that was.

Tracy