re: bootleggers suck

At 08:35 PM 7/26/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Bootleggers suck.
>
>-Ryan

Bootleggers suck the rankest of goatasses.

Perry (listen to moe.! They allow taping! They have long songs with
long
guitar solos!)

If that is so, why do most trade requests come in the form of,
"looking for
EV this or Tarantura that,"  and not, "I need the 9/23/71 tape"?

Then, there is Project Ballentine with all of its "sucky" bootleg
artwork.

I believe bootleggers have a huge part in keeping the live show
alive.  They
add a rebellious mystique to the otherwise boring, corporate,
"release any
old shit and they'll buy it" attitude of major recording companies.
Would
you rather have the last two Tarantura offerings or the last two by
Atlantic.
 Plus, any "official release" will be so doctored and edited (SRTS)
that all
of its purity and raw power will be lost.
And, I would not worry too much about Zep or Atlantic getting their
cut, they
(in particular) are probably doing fine.  Don't fall for the
propaganda.

Also, think about the production value that goes into cleaning up,
and
restoring the audio.  We want Electric Magic and Empress Valley not
just for
the rarity and the great packaging, but mainly for the incredible
research,
editing, and producing that these guys do to provide the best
sounding and
most complete show. I do not believe you would ever get this from
free trade
networks without the original bootlegger.

All hail the bootlegger  (we owe our collections to them),
Brian DuPont