Random thoughts on the Grammies*

*"Grammys" are your grandmother's things... just mentioning that, a wee pet
peeve.  :-)

I'm answering several points at once... two days late as per usual.

First, LOL about the fruit thing.  Oh my god, I was dying there.  Do you think
there was a straight man in that auditorium who was able to stand up when that
ended, or did they all have to sit there with their jackets over their laps for
a bit?

Nech, if a guy sang that he kissed a guy and liked it, well, either he'd be
Jimi Hendrix in which case it would be a hit ;-) or, it would be a hit in the
Castro at least...

Seems that 10 years after Come With Me, mashing up rock, soul and rap or hip
hop is still the going thing.  I suspect I show my age and lack of hipness,
here, but got to give Pagey his props on being cool with that then, no matter
might be said about the results.

Congratulations to Robert, Alison and T-Bone for the sweep.

I think Alison took a back seat because she's been there, done that and wanted
Robert to get the full experience.  I too detected some annoyance on her part,
but I also think I detected Robert wanting to get his hands (and other parts)
in her tight black dress, mebbe, (no, not to WEAR it) which I took to be the
possible cause of her annoyance.  Never a dull moment...

LOL Christopher, a bit too much acid back in the day is a great way to put
it...  and, laugh my ass off at Colbert, especially how he covered his mouth
with the phone to hide his laughter.  Me-ow, Stephen!

I find that my feelings about this are complex.  I am genuinely pleased for
Robert, it seems this is what he wanted.  It's an accomplishment and it's
certainly deserved after all he's done as a performer.

On the other hand, every time he stood in front of the mic to accept another
little gramophone, of its own accord my middle finger showed itself, revealing
the worser angels of my nature and my knee-jerk feelings.   Because that's how
gracious he should have been for the Led Zeppelin Lifetime Achievement award.
Because he's rejected us Zep heads but feels pretty good about Memphis right
now.  And because alot of the evening was marketing, aimed largely at young
people, and yes, taking part is selling out in some ways.  So much bling,
glitz, glitter, polish, and pure musical "product."  (Well, at least Robert can
SING, for crying out loud, whether in a straight line or "all twirly.")

Whoever wrote that Alison is in that collaboration to get more widespread
notice and sell more records, I think you're right on.  Maybe Robert really
feels that Zep hardly needs that, and I wouldn't argue with him.   But speaking
of money and Karma, I don't think any of the members of Zeppelin circa 2007
would've been doing it for the money.  The O2 show cost them a pretty penney
I'm sure and the proceeds went to charityl.   None of 'em need it, and I'd bet
dollars to donuts alot of tour money would go / would have gone to charities.

Not all of the Grammies were crap - there was Jennifer Hudson, looking right in
the camera, singing her thanks to her fans (and her colleagues) for pulling her
through.  Moving and amazing.  That's how it's done. . . not all the egoic
bullshit Plant is prone to.  "It's not about the fans" - really?  Ask Ms.
Hudson.

I really loved the Swagga, man.  Good stuff, odd as it was watching a
nine-months-along Minnie Mouse shaking her booty.

My favorite thing of the whole night was Paul McCartney, complete with Beatles
hair cut and Hofner bass, doing "17" and sounding like a fucking teenager at
66.  Come on, everyone, Grohl nailed it, too, bless him.

Planty you uptight wanker, I actually got up and danced and sang in celebration
- THAT'S how it's done, as well.  Rock n' Roll will never die, Macca was saying
loud and clear.  I couldn't help but notice the genuine smiles and the standing
O after he, his band, and the crowd celebrated that old has been tune with
sweet nostalgia and current joy.  I also couldn't help but notice that you,
Alison and T-Bone did not get anything near the same type of response after
your performance.

Is it just me, or was there a Rock vs. Pop battle going on?  Down to Samuel L.
Jackson wearing the rock and roll tee shirt, and U2 Lite (er, Coldplay)
acknowledgeing they're more lime stone than rock (heh).

I love what Blink 182 said: "We used to play music together and we decided
we're going to play music together again.  We like rock music."  I liked that
so much I actually wrote it down... perhaps it was a message to Mr. Plant that
life and music are not all that complicated?  And then that teenager (well, he
looked like one to me) saying Stevie Wonder would be "bringing it on home..."
I couldn't help but recall Zeppelin used to do that, too.

Overall I agree, it wasn't a bad way to spend a few hours...

To dare, to will, to remain silent is magic...