Re: UNCUT Online JP feature...

Yes, well he's been going around saying that for a few years now. As I and others have pointed out before, it certainly doesn't hurt sales to contend that Led Zeppelin is the backing band. My understanding is that Jimmy did play on the Hurdy Gurdy Man ***album*** but not on the title track.

Besides, if you listen to the phrasing on the guitar solo and compare it to everything else Page was doing in those days, it just doesn't have any of his signature riffs, patterns, or stock "vocabulary." Listen to his work in the Yardbirds Little Games & Live at the Anderson Theatre albums, Joe Cocker's With A Little Help From My Friends album and of course the 1st LZ album. All of these share certain patterns and riffs. I hear none of that on HGM. In fact, the slow, delayed bends on HGM remind me much more of Clapton's solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. The fuzz sound is incredible but even there it doesn't sound quite the same as Page's Telecaster through the tonebender and Supro.

As for the Uncut article, well, we've seen how the press lately has morphed and twisted facts to create stories that bend the truth, such as Jason's statement about working with Jimmy and John Paul on some new project that's as yet undefined suddenly turning into Led Zeppelin in the studio recording their next LP, or Jones and Page talking about a new project that will not be called Led Zeppelin turning into Led Zeppelin going on tour with a replacement singer.

In the end, I trust John Paul Jones' word. This guy comes across as one of the most level-headed, with the least amount of fried brain cells in the business. If he says it was Alan Parker, I believe him. As for the notion that Bonzo was on the HGM album, we've discussed that here a few times as well. It would go against all the accepted and recounted stories of how Led Zeppelin got together as told by the members of the band themselves. There is no evidence whatsoever that John Bonham played on HGM other than Donovan's assertion. What do you think will sell some extra compilation albums or DVDs, saying Clem Cattini was on drums or John Bonham (no offense to Clem, he is a legendary figure in popular music having played on many important pieces of music, but he hasn't attained the stature of Bonzo).

Joe Armendariz wrote:
>From the Uncut article about Jimmy with Donovan:

Many people have said over the years how important that session of John
Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and me - and maybe Bonham, who said he was there
- doing 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' was. I was developing a story-telling thing,
and I wanted power-chords, because I'd obviously heard Dave Davies and
Hendrix, and knew Pete Townshend. Originally I wanted to give 'Hurdy
Gurdy Man' to Hendrix, but he couldn't come in. So Mickie Most suggested
Jimmy. [Musical director] John Cameron told him, "All you've got to do
is listen to Donovan's guitar. Although it's acoustic, the way he's
hitting it is the way the power-chords would go." Rather than plug in, I
was hitting driving chords on the acoustic in such a way that they buzz.
So I guess Page listened. Jimmy added power and pagan rock. To this day,
everyone wants that sound. And John Paul Jones arranged it, he gave the
shapes to those sounds. And of course we really should have stopped the
guitar solo, because I had another verse to sing that George Harrison
had given me. But when we heard this thing that Page was doing coming
out, we just said, "Keep playing..." That might have been the first
power-chord solo. Mickie Most's office in Oxford Street had an adjoining
door to Peter Grant's. Maybe the band heard how 'Hurdy Gurdy Man'
went...and why are we doing sessions when we can do this? And they
became the greatest Pagan British Rock Band.

Clearly Donovan leaves the impression that Jimmy was the guitar player
on Hurdy Gurdy Man.