Racism, Thievery & general Skullduggery

Hi there,

1.  A few posts back there was a brief discussion about Robert Plant
and
racism in which it was noted that Plant used the word "Nigger" during
the
3-7-70 Montreux show.  I recently got that show (Thanks Mike!) and
discovered that yes indeed, he did sing this during the HMMT medley.
The
actual song was "Bottle Up and Go."  It goes:

A N*** and a white man playing Seven-up
The N*** beat the white man,
'Scared to pick it up.

A couple of questions:  Could you not say that this story of a
gambling deal
gone wrong tends to underscore the injustice of racism - and that the
use of
the N-word was not meant as a slight?

Chances are, Plant was making this up as he went along - it was the
improv
medley, right?  So he was singing a (half-remembered?) blues tune.
Do any
blues fans out there have a copy of this song with those lyrics?
Context is
everything; I doubt that anyone would call foul if Samuel Jackson was
recite those lyrics.  I wonder if that song was ever discussed by
someone
like Robert Palmer?  (BTW, I know that Lightnin' Hopkins, Leadbelly
and John
Lee Hooker all did this song.  The '70 JLH version with Canned Heat
has
different lyrics.)  Any other ideas or interpretations?

2.  A long time ago I heard a song by the band Spirit that pretty
much
contained the first 3 minutes of Stairway to Heaven.  I was told at
the time
that this lp came out before LZ 4, and therefore this was yet another
piece
of music stolen by Page & Plant (Robert was into that West Coast
psychedelic
stuff). I also heard that perhaps a financial settlement was reached
at the
time.  I don't know the name of the song - does anyone know the story
behind
this?

Cheers,
Andrew