Re: Train/ Ramble On

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Perry Justus" <pjustus@xxxxxxx>
To: <zeppelin@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: Train/ Ramble On

> At 04:39 PM 7/18/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >I thought they did a great job too - obviously a talented band.
> >So I
can't
> >figure out why their original song was so boring......I didn't
> >like that
one
> >at all...
> >
> >:o)
>
> I haven't heard Train's Ramble On, but from what I've heard of
> them, they
> suck a goat ass. Their singer just makes me shudder.
>
> I can't stand them.
>
> Perry

I'd agree with you if I hadn't heard them do Ramble On - they did the
other
song first and all I could think was that there sure would be a lot
of goats
with empty colons after that performance.  But then they started
talking
about Zep (said they like to cover a lot of Zep tunes) and I was
thinking,
"Well, at least they have good taste..." but I thought (as I usually
do)
that they couldn't possibly do a credible job of covering a Zep tune.
(Freely admit I'm biased like that...)  So I was very nicely
surprised by
their rendition of Ramble On.  The singer seemed to be deliberately
trying
to be "Plant-like" without trying to simply mimic him (Which he
probably
knew would be a pretty tough sell).  I actually enjoyed his voice and
the
rest of the band came off right smart too.

It was really like hearing two different bands.  I wonder if
performing Zep
just brings out the best in a band.

As well it should...

:o)