Re: Jimmy on "Heart of Stone?"

Stephane writes:

>Hi guys, I found this message on the Rolling Stones mailing list I
>subscribe to.  (SFJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  This is really
>interesting.
>Anyone else can confirm this from a Zep perspective?

This is definitely true -- back in 1964 Andrew Oldham had this bright
idea
of getting Jagger & Richards to write songs for other artists (i.e.
Marianne Faithfull).  The songs were demoed by various session men
(including Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones), with Mick Jagger doing the
vocals.  "Heart Of Stone" was one of about 4-5 demos that featured
Page on
guitar.

A few months later the Stones were re-evaluating some of those
"giveaway"
demos, and they decided that a couple of them ("Heart Of Stone" and
"Blue
Turns To Grey") were worthy of being recorded by the Stones
themselves.  I
guess Keith didn't have time to come up with new guitar parts, so he
just
copied what Jimmy had played.

Many of the original demos are available on "Metamorphosis" and
various
Stones bootlegs.

Hope this helps,

Scott