Info Needed (My Brain Hurtz) - Branching on ZD

>Being a Branch
>
>Once the tree structure is posted, the branch will
>send B&P for the SHN discs to their downloader. Once
>the branches receive the SHN discs from the
>downloaders, it is their responsibility to burn audio
>copies of the show for the leaves. The only
>requirement for branches is a burner.

How does branching on this type of tree differ from
the typical CDR tree?  I figure a burner is needed,
but would I need to download software to convert SHN
files to WAV?  Or would I send WAV CDR discs to the
downloader and get WAV CDR back?  I don't get it.