Ticket Price Reality Check

OK, for those of you that think the ticket prices for Page Crowes are too
high I did a little math (I?m a financial analyst by training).  The fact of
the matter is that, adjusted for inflation, the TYPICAL ticket price is
comparable to what Zep charged in the 70?s.  The catch is that the best
seats now are much higher than the best seats in the 70?s.  Unfortunately,
when most everyone in both this group and the Who newsgroup (they bitch
about the prices a lot) quotes a ticket price they use the HIGHEST ticket
price today and the lowest from the 70?s.  This is sloppy logic at best and
at worst crass manipulation of the facts to support a predetermined position
(the ?those greedy bastards position?).  Here are the facts:

1. Adjusted for inflation the ?upper level? or lawn seats are the exact same
prices as in the 70?s.  Here is a little math ?cause I know some of you will
demand it?.  Zep Baton Rough 1975, Upper Level ticket prices $7.50.
Inflation adjustment factor 3.283 (CPI all Urban Consumers 1967=100,
1975=156.1, 2000=512.5) so the ticket in today?s dollars is $24.62.  I can
buy a Page Crowes ticket for $25.00 today (upper level).  I did a
calculations on several Zep shows from 1970 to 1977 and came up with
inflation adjusted prices from $20 to $32 in year 2000 dollars.

2. Yes, ticket prices for the seats directly in front of the stage and the
sides of the stage, the best seats, are higher than they were in the 70?s
after adjusting for inflation.  The reason is simple thought, bands would
sell a front row center ticket for $30 and see a scalper buy it and resell
it for $400.  I know - I bought some of these from scalpers (I paid $150 for
my 10 row center seat for PP in Dallas in 95 and I thought that was a
bargin).  Bands saw that people were willing to pay more for better seats
and instead of letting scalpers make the money bands decided to segment the
seating and get some of the money themselves.   In reality how many people
ever got the great seats without going to a scalper or winning them from a r
adio station????  Pink Floyd and the Eagles were some of the first bands to
do this on their mid 90?s tours.

The point I am trying to make here is not that ticket prices have not
increased but instead that the increases are reasonable given the situation
the artists face.  Inflation happens, people are willing to pay more money
for better seats so why let scalpers make all of the money from the bands
fans, concerts are more expensive to produce than decades ago (even after
adjusting for inflation), the lighting is more elaborate, the insurance is
more expensive, in real terms, etc. I could go on and on but I will spare
you all from that.  But please people before you demonize your favorite
musicians look at the facts a little closer.

Later,
Ron